Monday, July 30, 2012

The many moods of Elder Dickson





Greetings from Georgia!
Hooray! The family move to Nebraska is complete almost! It finally happened! Must be a relief for y'all; it's been a trick getting it all figured out, I wish I could have been there to help, but what do ya do? I hope it all works out with school and sports and such. How are y'all doing?
Things are going pretty good here, I guess; we have tried to find some new people by knocking doors, but not much has come from it yet; don't worry, we'll get 'em!
We got in contact with a part-member family that has been out of town for months, as well as a recent convert who sort of fell of the map, so we are working with them now.
Author is still doing great; we had a barbecue Sat. which was awesome! The Sherwoods cooked the chicken and pulled pork, so that was fantastic (Sister Sherwood was a professional chef; we LOVE eating at her house lol)! We fished and played horse-shoes, and Author loved it; we had a grand ole time! Also, some less-actives the other elders have been working with, but we know as well, came to church! Yes! It has been years since they have been; I was ecstatic (not Jafar-kind of ecstatic, I was actually happy about it lol!)!
Went on an exchange with my District Leader, Elder Everett, who's a super cool guy; I learned a lot from him that day. He is really good at contacting, which is something I still struggle with; I don't mind teaching, but it's hard to walk up to complete strangers and ask them to change. Someone has got to do it though, and we missionaries have been the ones set apart to do so. I'm better than I used to be, but not where I want to be yet with talking to people. I continue to pray that the Lord will turn that weakness into a strength.
Yesterday, we had a traditional English meal: Yorkshire pudding and potatoes! I have had it before, and it's great! It's not even pudding, funnily enough (This is not pudding...[Grinch, I miss that movie]); it's bread and gravy. Very tasty.
Working with Elder I (that's what most people call him) has been pretty fun; he is always happy, and always sincere when he talks to people. Everyone in the branch loves to talk to him about his country and culture. It has gotten us more dinners, so I'm not complaining lol! He loves Michael Jackson music and Bruce Lee movies; you don't get more awesome than that! It is kind of tricky, because while he speaks English very well, he is still working on understanding what everyone else is saying; it doesn't help that the English down here is not the same he learned in the MTC, or even the same as I grew up learning lol! That southern drawl can be killer sometimes lol! I know he'll get it, though; Elder I is up for anything!
That's about all I have to report; we are trying to re-vamp this area, it's been struggling since it has opened, and we are trying to do new things to see if we can change that. It's tricky, but we'll get it!
I hit my year day mark on Friday; July 27, 2011, I went to the MTC. And today, the 30th, is the day, a year from now, that I'll be joining y'all in Nebraska; at least, that is when my Ministerial certificate expires; most likely, the 1st of August is when I'd fly back. That is an incredibly weird thought; I have done this all my life, haven't I? I could've sworn I was born here as a missionary; I don't remember too much about my pre-mission life, a veil has been put over it, lol. I can't believe I am on the downhill slope; I have less time left then I have been out. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! The time is slipping through my fingers! How could this have happened?! Oh well; all I can do is use this time which have been given me to the fullest, and hope my offering is acceptable. I've got a lot of work to do.
Hey, Mom, how's Nebraskaaaa (never gets old!)? How is everything else? Miss you bunches!
Hey, Devin, how's life? How was Batman/Spiderman/MIBIII? Being on a mission, I have proven I can go at least a year without movies; that doesn't mean I don't want to see them when I get back, though, lol! Keep being a stud, wash behind your ears, take luck!
Hey Miss Shelby! How has the summer been? Got volleyball going on in Nebraskaaa yet? Watch out for those guys (especially the ones with pointy teeth lol), and keep smiling! Love ya!
You guys are all in my thoughts and prayers; it makes me sad that I couldn't be there when help was needed, but I'm so grateful to my Father in Heaven who looks after you all while I dedicate my life to Him absolutely for two years. I know that the blessings that come from serving an honorable, full-time mission far outweigh any perceived losses; the reward is infintely greater! I know this church is true, because I have seen it in action; I know the Book of Mormon is true, because I have seen it change hearts and minds; I know Christ is my Savior, because I wouldn't be out here if I didn't feel like I owe this much to him. We can never really pay the debt, but we can sure as heck try! "I know my Father lives, and loves me too; the spirit whispers this to me, and tells me it is true." In the name of our Master, Jesus Christ, amen.
Hope everything continues to work out! Enjoy Nebraskaaaa! Love you all!
Love,
Elder Casey Guy Dickson
P.S. First picture is of me at the river at the barbecue; the second is of a windchime with Black Jesus on it (yeah...), the third of our "church building" lol, the rest our of me being sort of bored on a P-day lol! A face only a mother could love; what do you think, Mum?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Casey Guy Dickson

Casey Guy Dickson
Called to serve in the Georgia Atlanta North Mission (July 2011 to July 2013)