Monday, January 16, 2012

Pork Rinds and Boiled Peanuts (yuk!)


 


Hey, Dad!
Thanks for the e-mail! Things are still well here in the land of pork rinds and boiled peanuts lol (which are both gross, by the way)!
It was a decent week; played basketball last p-day, and we're planning to play some more later today. On Tuesday we had an exchange; I went with Elder Harper (my old companion) to Dahlonega (my old area) lol. It was a lot of fun; I got to see some members and others I haven't seen since I left. I miss two of the families in Dahlonega in particular; the Fenyos and the Alfaros. I hope I can see them again soon.
Had lunch with Brother Sandoz a couple times this week; what a cool guy! We also helped him deliver some furniture to some single sisters in the ward, as well as put the seat for his hot rod ford truck he is trying to repair back in; good stuff! On Thursday we had an appointment with our top investigator; we met him and his girlfriend (who is a member) at her house; we taught the Gospel of Jesus Christ (Faith, Repentance, Baptism, Receiving the Gift of the Holy Ghost, and Enduring to the End). He has been enjoying everything we have taught him, but we had to move his baptismal date because we found out he is only 16 (I thought he was 18) and he hasn't told his parents he is meeting with us; he has to get permission from them to get baptized. I hope things all work out.
Friday we worked at the Ric Rack, which is always fun; we also weekly planned, which takes forever but is very effective to having a good week.
Had a pretty good Sunday; two investigators and a few less-actives showed up, which is always a plus. A long-term investigator that Elder Asher was teaching before I got here has been taking small steps forward; she has had all the lessons a ton of times, her sisters are members, she says she wants to get baptized, but she always says "I'm not ready yet" and doesn't explain why. We had a powerful lesson with her and her neighbor (who is also a member), and she wants to be baptized and is going to pray about a date. I hope so; she is out of excuses, her sisters called her out on all of them!
We had a traditional English dinner at the Adams (the wife is from England); Yorkshire pudding, roast and gravy, etc. Tasty!
We also had a good lesson with a single sister in the ward who we helped paint her bedroom and bathroom last week. It looks good, if I don't say so myself lol! She is a cool lady, and I always wish the best for her.
Anyway, that has been my week. In response to your e-mail:
I just barely got a card from Grandpa and Grannie Sheila for Christmas; it arrived a little late but was nonetheless appreciated!
I heard about the new Mission Impossible movie, and I heard the exact same thing you thought; fun but preposterous!
I do remember walking together; are special father-son time. I miss hanging out with the family!
I'm almost not a greenie! Two more weeks and I would have been out 6 months! Wow! The mission has flown by sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
fast; I still feel like I just got here. Time is slipping through my fingers; I still got a lot of work to do!
I'm trying to keep a journal but it is a hard habit to start after 19 years of not caring for that kind of thing; I hope these e-mails and my letters can help fill in the gaps. I'll keep trying!
I have never had so much good and bad and fun and frustrating and serious and funny experiences in my whole life! There are plenty of disappointments, but the good far outweighs the bad. I'm soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo glad I decided to serve; it will be the best two years for my life, that's for dang certain! I still am working on getting a baptism, but I know good things will come so long as I have faith, hope, diligence, and heed. This church is true!

Love,
Elder Casey Guy Dickson

No comments:

Post a Comment

Casey Guy Dickson

Casey Guy Dickson
Called to serve in the Georgia Atlanta North Mission (July 2011 to July 2013)