Monday, September 26, 2011

Hello, my name is Elder Dickson and I'm an alcoholic ... bet that got your attention!!!!


Our Casey strikes a pose under a waterfall.
!Hola, Familia!

So my companion and I were invited to attend an Alcoholics Anonymous Picnic/BBQ with a member. It was fun, and the scenery was beautiful; I'll send some pictures! We met alot of people, gave out some pass-along cards, got a few names, and got to eat some delicious food as we listened to a motivational speaker who has been sober for more than 20 years. We talked to the speaker afterwards; he said he was given a Book of Mormon once, but hasn't really read it. We invited him to do so, that the book has changed and influenced our lives more than we could describe. It was pretty cool. 

How are ya'll doing? How's school, Devin and Shelby? How's sports? How's work, Mom and Dad? Let me know how your lives are!

I had an awesome week this week; the best part being that a family we found last week wants to get baptized! Hooray! They are so legit; they are fun and funny and love church and everything about it! We got the kids going to all the activities, and the mom went to the relief society conference, and loved it! We are on the 3rd lesson now; we taught them the Restoration using the Joseph Smith video (the shorter one), and also watched Finding Faith in Christ to talk about faith. They love all of it! They only qualm is that the mom is still praying about being baptized; her kids have all said yes, so we are just waiting on her. I'm so excited for them! They are "golden", as they say.

Regardless of finding "goldens" or not, I know that faith, hope, and charity, with and eye single to the glory of God, will qualify me for the work.
Happy Birthday, Devin! 17, Holy Cow! I hope you have an awesome birthday, best bud! Sorry I don't know where my phone is. Say hi to Darren and our cousins and Grandpa and Sheila for me! Have a blast and a half!
Transfers have come and gone; it looks like I get to stay in Conyers for another 6 weeks at least; yay! Elder King is going home; he is a great missionary and friend, a fun guy to have around, and a fantastic person. We will all miss him. Also, Elder Kartcher, one of the funniest kids I've met, is getting transfered to a different spanish branch. While we will miss our friends, new ones will come, and the old ones have left a lasting impact on my mission. I wish them all the best of luck.
We also had a great lesson with the couple previously mentioned (see last week's letter); we are still trying to get in with them again. They had the cutest black puppy, I wanted to take him home. But that is stealing, and I'm pretty sure stealing is mentioned in the Scriptures a few times as a bad thing to do.
We met a Buddist this week; it's the first time we have met someone without a faith in Christ that was not agnostic. It was an interesting experience to teach someone with no Christian background; I hope we get to see her again.
I've met some wonderful people here; they all have diverse backgrounds and unique stories that brought them to Georgia, and how Jesus has influenced their lives. Down here, most people don't have a problem with Jesus Christ; they all already have faith in him. However, most people have a problem with the Book of Mormon; they love and revere and memorize the Bible, and won't accept anything else. We try to show them how we love and revere the Bible as well, and we believe the Book of Mormon to be the Word of God as well; it is another Testament of Jesus Christ. It does not add nor take away from the Bible, anymore than the New Testament adds to the Old. God is a God of miracles and revelation; if He is unchanging (the same yesterday, today, and forever), why would he cease being a God of those things? Why would he stop caring?
I bear my testimony that God is our Loving Heavenly Father, and that because He loves us, He sent His Son to atone for the sins and sorrows of the world, so that we too may have eternal life. I know the Book of Mormon to be the Word of God, and that the answers to life's all important questions of where we come from, why we are here, where are we going, and how do we get there are found in His scriptures. I know that Joseph Smith was the Prophet of the Restoration, and that he was a tool in the Lord's hands to bring back the fullness of the gospel and the authority to act in God's name required to make and keep sacred ordinances and covenants essential for salvation. I know that Thomas S. Monson is the prophet, seer, and revelator of this day and age, and that He is the Lord's mouthpiece. I know all this is true because I did what we invite all men everywhere to do: to read the Book of Mormon, pondered in my heart the message in contains, and asked God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Jesus Christ, if it was true. I know that the Lord answers prayers, and my answer was yes, it is true. Feast upon the words of Christ, for they will tell you all things which ye should do. This is the one and only true church, and I have been called of God to bring all those I meet unto the path that leads to everlasting salvation and eternal life. Not my glory, but Thine; I only hope that I can be a tool in the Lord's hands to bring to pass this great and marvelous work. I say this in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
Tell me what's up with ya'll, I love ya and miss ya tons!
Love,
Elder Casey Guy Dickson

Some friends at the local General Store.

Casey shows off some of Georgia's lovely scenery.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Casey Guy Dickson

Casey Guy Dickson
Called to serve in the Georgia Atlanta North Mission (July 2011 to July 2013)