Monday, May 14, 2012

A surprise baptism for the Timpanogos Twins!

("Timpanogos Twins" refers Elder Dickson and Elder Youd, both Timpanogos grads and currently companions in the mission field-dd) 
Ollo!
Hey guys, it's your favorite missionary again! Happy Mother's Day, Mom; you're the best Mom ever! It was a blast talking to y'all last night; it wouldn't matter if we talked about the weather, it was just nice to see y'all. Dev and Missy look so much older; I told y'all that yous not s'ppose to grow no more!
Anyway, I pretty much told y'all everything that has happened recently; so let's review:
We got a surprise baptism this week! Jerry told us Thursday that he wanted to be baptized this weekend instead of next! It was a bit of a scramble to get everything put together, but it worked out beautifully. I gave a talk on baptism, and he was confirmed Sunday, so all is well. What was cool is that some his friends came to the baptism and to church; it looks like we may be teaching them soon! The work is never done, and I love it!
The Spanish elders had a baptism Tuesday (a family of three) and the Zone Leaders had a surprise baptism of their own; a guy serving in the Middle East flew over here to get baptized; it was pretty awesome! It was a good week for baptisms in our zone; there were 6 more on Saturday besides our own; go Marietta East!
It's been interesting learning how to teach in a duo again; there are still plenty of awkward pauses were we expect Elder Bowers to comment lol. I like Elder Youd, but things seem less fun and interesting without our quirky redhead. Oh well; he's biking his face off in the Conyers humidity; I can sympathize lol.
We finally got a hold of a kid who was told us over and over that he is interested, but was super busy with school, and it had been months since we taught him. We taught him Thursday afternoon; we taught the good ol' Plan of Salvation, and he loved everything about it! He is a super smart kid, and all his "theories" more or less match up with doctrine! He wants to get baptized as soon as possible; we just got to teach him the rest of the lessons first! He also came to Ultimate Frisbee, and went on the camp out the Branch was going on; sweet! I think he'll be a good Mormon lol!
We also taught Sister Brock's nephew a few times; he's a good kid, just has some trouble with his temper. We set a date for the first weekend in June, so keep your fingers crossed!
Saturday after the baptism, we had a companion exchange; I went with Elder Hernandez's greenie Elder Popp on bikes (since I don't have a license anymore... grrr) in our area. It wasn't too bad; felt like the good ol' days in Conyers, but with less hills and heat. Still pretty "Thor," though lol. Spent most of the day helping the Methodist church that has the food pantry we volunteer at gather donate food and putting it in their storage. They got a pretty cool set up, but our Bishop Storehouse takes the cake lol!
And that's about it.
Once again, it was way awesome to see you guys Sunday night; it'll keep me going for the next 7 months lol. I really don't get homesick; I'm way too busy lol! Happy Mother's Day again, Mom! I'll let you know when I get the package; most likely tomorrow, after Zone Conference. 
Hi Aunt Nina! I'm sending a letter later today; I promise you that the last letter I got from you, I returned; maybe they are holding those at the office as well. 
Keep being awesome, Devin and Shelby! You guys are growing up too fast; STOP IT! We'll have a crazy movie night when I get back, lol; you can even make your famous spaghetti, Devo! 
Hi, Grandpa and Grannie Sheila! Your mail is probably at the office also lol. 
HI, Aunt Darcell, Uncle Charles, and Rebecca! 
Hi, Idaho Dicksons! 
Thanks to all of you for the candy, money, and prayers over the past 10 months; they all go a long way! I'm also especially thankful for your examples and testimonies; all who read this letter have had some influence on my life and the decisions I make; I wouldn't be the man I am without all of you! Because of the way I was raised, I never doubted that I had and have a loving Heavenly Father! I never doubted my Savior, or the things I was taught. True, I didn't quite know what it meant to believe until I was out here, but the things I learned in my youth are the things that keep my faith firmly rooted. This church is so true; how could it not be? How could something so good and so Christ-centered possibly be false?
Sorry this letter is kind of short, but I talked to you guys yesterday about all of this lol!
Take care, y'all! See ya at Christmas (you'll probably be in Nebraskaaaa by then lol)!
Love,
Elder Casey Guy Dickson
P.S. The other missionary in white is our fearless District Leader, Elder Hernandez; Jerry had asked him to baptize him.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Casey Guy Dickson

Casey Guy Dickson
Called to serve in the Georgia Atlanta North Mission (July 2011 to July 2013)