Monday, March 4, 2013

Is spring here yet?

Smile big, you're a missionary!

Hey Family!
Thanks for the email! How are things?
It's staring to get cold finally, but not nearly like it should be. Ah, snow! It is not even cold enough for a long sleeve shirt here, but people are freaking out! There is no one outside for us to talk to, so we've been knocking a lot of doors; everyone is inside or heading to Florida! There was some small baby snowflakes the other day, and everyone was bundled up; It is funny to see, but I know that when I go back to Utah or Nebraska I'm gonna die because I'm not used to it. When spring gets here, the pollen will break out like crazy lol! I'm glad I don't get that bad of allergies, but still. 
Anyway, my week: 
Been spending a lot of time knocking and walking to no avail, so we decided to get a GPS to find our way around, and to try to focus on Part-Members or Less-Actives, as well as finding gators. Tuesday night we gave a recent move-in a blessing, then went out with Bro. LeCheminant to see a referral and some less-actives; ran into some people who never want to be contacted again; oh well. 
Wednesday was Zone Conference, which is always good. We had our Mission President talk about the Abrahamic Covenant and how it pertains to missionary work; it was quite interesting. The Old Testament part of Seminary I may or may not have been awake for lol! We had his wife and our assistants (my good friend Chugg, who you guys said hi to on Skype, and his comp) spoke as well, and a testimony meeting of the departing missionaries; Elder Youd goes home in May! And I go home in July! Ahhhhh!! 
We then had dinner with the bishop and his kind wife, which is always good; if you are on good terms with the bishop, the work is sooo much easier lol...
Thursday we had an awesome, very spiritual lesson with Ian, our top gator; he is in his late 20's or early 30's, has a fiance, and is very interested in finding a faith in Jesus Christ. It's weird to meet someone who has lived in the South all their lives and they haven't been brought up religious... anyway, he is uber-prepared; he answers questions, and asks all the right ones! We felt impressed to use the Finding Faith in Christ DVD for our lesson; it was one of the most spiritual lessons I've had in a while! His only hang up is that he doesn't feel ready to get baptized yet, which is fine, because that will come. We just have to make sure that he understands that when he knows this is true, he is judged by that standard, and must be baptized soon after that realization. It's a tricky thing to know when people are ready; it's all case by case, and by the spirit. the criteria in our mission is they have to come to church twice, and receive all the lessons. Rarely have I seen someone get baptized in two weeks; most of the time it is a month or more; some take years. It's all about not giving up on them, and also helping them know what having a knowledge of the truth means...
Friday we had a referral we set up an appointment with that fell through; gotta keep trying! We also tried to see a Less-active family with one of our ward missionaries, Bro. Nichols, but they had something come up, so we ended up going over to dinner with our team-up and had some Korean food (it was interesting... I'm glad they also had burritos lol!). The food, coupled with Elder Schmidt's health issues, just about did him in that night, and it lasted till today... We had to stay in mostly Saturday and Sunday so he could rest. It's all good, though; now I can finish Jesus the Christ and be able to start the Book of Mormon again with all the extra reading time! 
Sunday was still good, though, because Ian came... half an hour early lol! Most of the members don't show up until 5 minutes in lol...
Elder Schmidt was dying, but still had enough strength to go up and bear his testimony, which was powerful, as always; this kid is a trooper! 
that's about all that has happened recently; today we are giving Schmidty some more time to relax so we can tackle this week with all our heart, might, mind, and strength! 
Sorry this isn't super long, we have a limited amount of time of the computers at the library...
I want a change just because this area has been very slow; things have picked up slightly, though, so maybe staying wouldn't be so bad. It's just hard to be on a bike in a large area, everything we do depends on whether we can find a ride or not; shouldn't complain, this ward is pretty good about rides and dinners. My companion is great, so we'll see how long the keep me here. 
Despite my best efforts, I am about thinking about home lol... the term in the mission is Bump, Hump, Slump, Dump, referring to 6, 12, 18, and 24 months; I'm in the slump lol. I'm trying my best to stay strong and stay focused, and I know I am here and the Lord's time and I need to use it well. I'm grateful for this chance to serve my God, and I feel like I have changed a lot; however, one of the most important parts of the gospel is to endure to the end, and I am trying to live by that principle. Thanks for being an awesome family, know that I love ya'll and am grateful for your examples. Take Luck! '
Love, 
Elder Casey Guy Dickson

No comments:

Post a Comment

Casey Guy Dickson

Casey Guy Dickson
Called to serve in the Georgia Atlanta North Mission (July 2011 to July 2013)