Monday, December 10, 2012

It's the holiday season (sing it with me!)

 

Hey, how ya doin'?! I've sent a Christmas card, hope y'all see them soon!
Elder Rogers loves Christmas music, and I do too, but we have been listening to it since the day after Halloween, and I'm just about done lol! I'm actually okay with listening to Christmas music by Thanksgiving, but I know for a fact that we'll all be sick of it before Christmas even comes!
Dang it Nebraska! Oh well. I find it kind of ironic; Casey's mission vs. Casey's new home, Elder Dickson vs. The Fam lol! I thought it was funny, anyway! I actually still don't care for either team...Go Cougars!
It hasn't snowed in Nebraskaaa yet? I guess I don't know that much about Nebraskaaa but it has probalby snowed in Utah by now. We certainly aren't getting any snow here! Two years ago they had a freak snow storm here that pretty much shut down the whole state for a week; panic in the streets, people starting their food storage late lol. They don't know how to handle snow out here; I mean Georgia only has like 4 snow plows for the whole state! Last year it didn't snow at all, so we'll see about this year; I doubt it, though.
Dang it, Ronnie! Are you willing to sell your salvation for 5 more minutes of sleep? Follow the missionaries direction, of course, but it sounds to me like it's time to be bold; go big or go home! He can take a nap in sacrament meeting, for all I care, as long as he is there, the Spirit will tell him why he needs to be there. Be gentle and loving, but it's time to call them out I think!
On behalf of all the missionaries of the world, thanks a bunch for feeding the elders lol! Too bad they don't get a Christmas party over there; how were your Christmas parties in your mission? I always like hearing about your mish...
I know I've asked this a lot, but have you run into Elders Boddy, Brown, Chesley, Widmer, or Sister Coats? They serve in your mission, and were in the MTC with me... maybe the other elders know them...
Anyway,we spent this whole week setting up for and hosting The Festival of the Nativity; we had nativity sets from all around the world, live music, and a ton of pictures of our Savior. It was a decent turn out; Friday and Saturday were a little slow, but Sunday we must of had about 300 people there! Our hope is not only to share with our neighbors our belief in Christ but also to get them interested in learning more. We are expecting a few referrals from some members that brought some friends, so keep your fingers crossed!
The good thing about the holidays is that everyone is more Christ-minded; the bad thing is that everyone is super busy or out of town or has family visiting, so they don't want us bothering them. We should be good up until a few weeks before the big day, though.
I can't believe how little time I have left! Time is slipping through my fingers! While I don't want to go home yet, I'm warming up to the idea some lol...
Not much else happened this week; we went on exchange with Spanish, where I let Elder Chugg do all the hablar-ing lol; still got some teaching done, and when I was in our area with Elder Grant we talked to a ton of people, and had a lesson with Keith and a few less-actives. I'm not sure what to do with Keith; he keeps wanting to meet with us, but doesn't understand authority or the necessity for baptism; we gave him 3 Nephi 11 to read, and we plan to teach Gospel of Jesus Christ next time we see him, but I don't know how to be clearer on biblical concepts like priesthood and baptism and such...
We had stake conference this Sunday at Lanier Technical College, which was interesting; the Roswell Stake center is not big enough for all the stake, so in past years they have split up the stake into multiple buildings for stake conference. This year though, they decided to try something different and rented a space at this college, which actually turned out great! The stake presidency spoke, as well as some sisters from various wards, the stake patriarch, and our Mission President and his wife. They all talked about what the holidays are supposed to be, and how we can be more Christ-like. President Wolfert and Sister Wolfert both talked about the joys of missionary work, and preparing to go now. Good stuff.
One of the missionaries I'm serving with, Elder Chugg, had an investigator die this past week; they went to the funeral and apparently had a very powerful experience teaching about the Plan of Salvation. I haven't been to a lot of non-member funerals, but they always seem so gloomy and very very sad. Not that we aren't sad at Mormon funerals as well, but we know that there will be a joyous reunion in Heaven. I don't mean to make fun by saying this, but it does make me think of the end of Lord of the Rings 3, when everyone is reunited for the first time since the first movie, and everyone is happy and clean and all is well; that's what I imagine it to be like. We just have to keep trucking along till it's our turn. The Plan of Salvation is a wonderful thing, because a lot of people see death as a scary and terrible and lonely thing, and it can be, but it doesn't have to be; because of the knowledge we have of God's plan, I know exactly where I came from, why I am here, and where I am going. We are promised to see one another again, and that gives me a lot of comfort. I know this church is true; how could it not be? I know Christ is my Savior and Redeemer, and it's because of His Atonement that it is possible to return home to our Heavenly Father and our families. I know the Book of Mormon is the word of God, because together with the Bible, we have a fullness of the Plan of Salvation, and another witness of Christ's divinity. I know that Joseph Smith was and is a prophet of God, because if he wasn't, how could he translate the ancient record of the Nephites? I know Thomas S. Monson is our prophet today, because God has not ceased to be a God of Miracles, and he still loves us and speaks to us now as well as then. I love this church and this gospel, and say this in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
Thanks for being the best family any elder can ask for, I love and miss ya'll tons, and I'll see ya Christmas day through the magic of computers! Take luck!
Love,
Elder Casey Guy Dickson
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Casey Guy Dickson

Casey Guy Dickson
Called to serve in the Georgia Atlanta North Mission (July 2011 to July 2013)