Monday, December 5, 2011

Hey, where are the peaches in the Peach State?

Casey's new area: Dahlonega, Ga.
You know, even though this is the peach state, I have seen absolutely no peaches since I have been here... not even canned ones! They are all in southern Georgia I guess. Anyway, it's been a good week. Our top investigator accepted a baptismal date for the 28th of January, which is awesome! He just has to quit smoking, which is the trick.
Our other set of investigators are doing well; the husband has just finished the Book of Mormon, and wants a triple combination so he can read the rest. Holy Cow! They came to church, which was good; it was fast Sunday, so they got to hear a lot of awesome testimonies! They are still struggling with some new concepts we gave them (Plan of Salvation, etc.) so we'll keep on 'em!
We have also spent a lot of time with the tons of less-active members in this ward; some people we are seeing members have been trying to see for years, and have just opened up. I guess they needed some handsome young man to get in there and smooth things over lol. Really, though, it is a great breakthrough and I'm excited to see where it goes!
Some of the members have given us some pretty awesome referrals; two for sure I think can progress to baptism in this month! Yay! Getting referrals is the most effective way to do missionary work; the investigators are already interested, and they already have a friend in the church! We'll see how they go!
Brother Rick Sandoz is the coolest and funniest man I have ever met! He always feeds us lunch and gives us rides and referrals and a good time! We need more members like him!
The Fenyos are a great family too; they always want to feed us and always are fun to visit! It's hard to keep from staying too long; they are just awesome!
There was a pretty awesome ward pancake breakfast the young women just had; we came and helped set up and helped eat lol! We also were able to watch The First Presidency's Christmas Devotional yesterday; it was pretty cool. I love hearing Pres. Uctdorf talk!
Go Cougars! Good for them! Is Tulsa good this year?
Go T-wolves! That's a tough break, Mom; it sucks when all the best players leave, but you are an awesome coach; I'm sure you'll do well.
I have found one or two members that have Skype; I'll let you know next monday the time so we can all talk! I'm pretty excited for that, especially since I missed calling everyone from the airport.
Oh, I also found out that Devin is sending me e-mails... to my old e-mail address. You need to send them to casey.dickson@myldsmail.net for me to see them. (Miss you, Stinky!)
Happy Birthday Shiela!
I like my new area fine; there are a lot of dirt paths, and streets and houses that don't exist on the GPS or in real life lol, so it has been a trick to find everyone and everything.
We have our own chapel; it has probably been there since the dawn of time, because it's pretty old and falling apart! They have been trying to repair it recently, so we'll see if that helps.
My companion and I are getting along well enough; he and I have a slightly different sense of humor; I make sure he knows I'm kidding. Since I don't have Shelby around to tease, I have to do everyone else; it's not the same lol. (Miss you, Missy!)
The nearest Elders are about 15+ miles away; they cover the next county, but we share the ward and the building. The ward boundaries are huge, so we split it into two. It's been tricky, but we are getting the hang of it.
It has rained a few times (I mean RAINED!!), but has been pretty warm; it's december, and I can still go out in a short-sleeve shirt; something's wrong with that lol. We have been in a car anyways, so the weather hasn't been so bad as for bike missionaires lol.
The work goes forward, and I'm excited for things to get rolling; no matter what speed bumps may arise. I want to share a quote from Joseph Smith:
The Standard of Truth has been erected; no unhallowed hand can stop the work from progressing; persecutions may rage, mobs may combine, armies may assemble, calumny may defame, but the truth of God will go forth boldly, nobly, and independent till it has penetrated every continent, visited every clime, swept every country, and sounded in every ear, till the purposes of God shall be accomplished, and the Great Jehovah shall say the work is done. Amen.
I look forward to seeing everyone on Skype; be well, be safe, and be awesome! I love y'all so much!
Love,
Elder Dickson
Casey and his new companion, Elder Harper.
P.S. I sent everyone letters; I hope they have gotten to everyone by now. I dislike snailmail; not only is it slow, but they lost my letter I sent to Collin months ago; Hopefully he has my new one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Casey Guy Dickson

Casey Guy Dickson
Called to serve in the Georgia Atlanta North Mission (July 2011 to July 2013)