Monday, November 7, 2011

"I'm not prejudice, I hate everyone." (Casey did NOT say this)

Fun with bike helmet pads.
Hey, Family!
Things are all fine and dandy in the land of Conyers... guess what? Transfer calls were today, and I'm getting transferred to Dawsonville, Sugar Hill Zone! It's about an hour north of Atlanta. My new companion is Elder Harper, who had to go home because of an injury but is now back and ready to roll! I haven't met him yet, but everyone says that he's a good guy. He'll be the senior companion (thank goodness!); he was out about a year before he got hurt. Oh, and it's a car area too! Yay! Apparently Dawsonville is a richer and whiter area than Conyers, which will be interesting.
My trainer, Elder Nielsen, is training again, and is going District Leader. Good for him; he's a good guy as well.
It has been a good experience in Conyers; there are some very different, but still very good people here. The members are awesome, especially the youth; they are all about missionary work! I haven't had any baptisms here, but that's okay; success is not measured by baptisms. There are some awesome people we are teaching, and they will be in good hands with Elder Nielsen and his new Greenie. I'm way excited for this new opportunity to learn and grow.
Good job, T-wolves! I'm glad that you guys did so well; I don't know much about Salem Hills, but I'm happy that you are happy, Shelby lol. Congrats, little Missy!
I hope you guys all do well in basketball as well; being part of a team is a special thing. I know y'all will have fun! Good luck, Stinky and Missy!
The work goes as it goes; the work has finally started rolling, so now it's up to Elder Nielsen and his new companion to wrap it up! Just to hear if they get baptized will be enough for me.
That quote for the letter is from a less-active lady we go visit every once and awhile. She is probably the funniest and bluntest person I have met! She has been all around the world, and has recently recovered from Alcoholism (still working on smoking). She tells it how it is, and has no reservations about telling people her opinion. She's a tough ol' Granny who would probably beat up any thug that bothers her; she's the greatest! She really is sweet deep down, and loves it when we come visit her; she calls us "her missionaries". I'm going to miss her.
We continue to teach that one family who needs to get divorced before they get married and baptized (that is a strange sentence). They love the church and everything about it, but they can't progress until they fix up their lives some. Her 16-year-old son's girlfriend is having his baby at the hospital right now; she is having a minor heart problem, so I hope everything turns out okay. The not-yet-husband's mother is also in the hospital; we might go give both of them a blessing before I leave. My companion, Elder Dowdle (our DL on exchange with us) a member (who brought a truck) and I helped them move all their stuff into a new, better looking home they are renting. I'm not sure if they could have moved all their furniture without us; they had no truck, and the not-yet-husband is still pretty from his stroke.
The Muslim lady we are teaching is funny; she says one thing, then something completely different the other day. She says she wants to believe in Jesus Christ, and also expresses interest in Baptism, yet she still isn't sure what she wants. She'll call us and tell us not to come over anymore, and the next day she wants us to visit her. She's a little flighty, but she is funny, and has really liked a lot of things about our church; like how we were with God before this life, and those in this life who never get to hear the gospel can hear and accept it thanks to baptisms for the dead and temple work. I think she'll come around.
We met another guy and his wife while we were biking one day; he stopped us and told us he was a member, and his wife was taking lessons and was about to get baptized, but then they both lost their jobs and had to move. They have just moved back and want to come back to church. I'm excited for them! How nice it is to meet people who actually want to come to church lol!
We had a pretty neat insight when we were teaching a recent convert about the sacrament. In 3 Nephi 18, it talks about the Disciples bringing the bread and wine to the savior, the Savior breaking it, and the Disciple passing it. Sound familiar? The Disciples bringing the bread and wine before Jesus our the Teachers preparing the sacrament, Jesus is the Priests breaking and blessing it, and the Disciple are the Deacons passing it to the congregation. I never saw that before; I thought that was pretty cool. We are literally doing as Jesus and his Disciples themselves they were doing not only in the Book of Mormon, but the Bible as well.
We hit up some yard sales on Saturday, and I got some pretty sweet ties for a buck. I love yard sales; missionaries pretty much live off them lol.
We had another baptism in our zone; the zone leaders just baptized a kid who has been coming to church for years, but couldn't get baptized because his parents were so against it. Since he turned 18, we could finally do it for him! He was so excited and happy! I'll send some pictures.
It's a little tough getting transferred during the holidays, but I'm sure they members in Dawsonville are just as awesome and loving; it'll be a blast, I'm way excited!
I get more and more proof every day that this gospel is true; even when people throw anti at us, or show us stuff in the Bible and Book of Mormon I never saw before, and I spend all evening studying about it, I continually get confirmation that this gospel is true, because no other church has the answers to all of life's questions like we do. Everything in this church makes sense, and it makes sense because it is the absolute truth, and no other church has the understanding of the gospel like we do. I know for a fact that because God loves us, He has once again reached out and called a prophet to the earth, and provided him with the Book of Mormon, to complete the fullness of the gospel. I know that the authority to act in God's name that was once lost is now found in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and it is by that authority that we can receive the fullness of His blessings. I know that Jesus Christ is Jehovah of the Old Testament, the Savior and Redeemer of the New Testament, and the God of the whole earth. I am eternally grateful for the sacrifice of his atonement that connects the bridge back to Heavenly Father for us, for we cannot get to Heaven by ourselves. I know that Joseph Smith was the Prophet of the Restoration, and that Thomas S. Monson is the Prophet, Seer, and Revelator of the earth in our time today. I know that those men are as much Prophets as Moses or Abraham, and they hold that same authority necessary for salvation and exaltation in the life to come. I know the Book of Mormon is the Word of God, as well as the Bible, and that it has the answer's to life's questions, like no other book in history. I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
I love y'all sooooooooooooooooooooooooo much and can't wait to hear from y'all near Christmas time!
Love,
Elder Casey Guy Dickson

No comments:

Post a Comment

Casey Guy Dickson

Casey Guy Dickson
Called to serve in the Georgia Atlanta North Mission (July 2011 to July 2013)