Monday, July 15, 2013

G'Day, Mate!

Hey, everybody!
I am completely FREAKING OUT about coming home in a week lol! I am so
excited! And kinda sad (about leaving the missionary work and
stuff)... I am a roller coaster of emotions; I don't know what to feel
So what's the plan when I fly in? Or is it going to be a surprise lol?
I thought the other day, about only two more letters! And one more
Sunday as a missionary! Insane! Has it really been two years? It
wasn't nearly long enough...
So this week:
Monday we tried to go bowling, but it was WAY too expensive lol, but
we did get to play ball at the stake center, which was awesome...
Tuesday we had a zone training, which are always fun, because you can
see the other missionaries in the zone! Later we had dinner with
Brother Challis, one of our ward missionaries, who had invited a
friend to dinner for us to teach named Michelle; she was super nice
and out-going, and asked a lot of good questions, so we will see how
that goes... it felt good to teach again, it's been a while lol...
Wednesday downpoured ALL DAY lol we got so soaked we had to go back
and change our clothes... We found out that day that Elder
Christensen's visa came in, and he was to fly to Australia on Sunday.
We were to drop him off at the stake center to the assistants Saturday
night; we were both happy and sad... E. Chris was excited to finally
get to his mission, and we are too!
Thursday we helped a part-member paint her house, which was pretty
fun; we took some crazy pictures lol... Later we had dinner at the
Hilton's, the family that took us in when the tornado got us a few
weeks ago; they are very funny, I'll miss them... Brother Hilton came
out on a team-up with us to see Brother Vaughan, a super nice
less-active; we were planning on teaching the 10 commandments, but the
spirit said otherwise... we talked a lot about Brother V's recent loss
of his Mom and his best friend; the spirit was very strong, and
everyone felt better at the end of it. Bro. V then bought us ice
cream; nice! A pretty good day...
Friday Elder Bowers had a doctor's appointment in Norcross (I used to
serve in that city when I was in John's Creek!), so I got to see my
old building again; then we helped a member set up for a wedding
rehearsal, and after dinner with the Paget's, the husband took us to
see Becky and Larry; we talked a lot about the sacrament and church
attendance, but they stayed stand-offish throughout the lesson, so we
don't know what else to do... They got to start progressing, or else
we gotta drop them...
Saturday we went to this barber shop some elders who used to serve
here recommended us, and had a pretty intense religious discussion
with Ali while Elder Christensen was getting his hair cut. Then we
went to go see a referral YSA elders gave us; a family from the Congo
that spoke more french than english, but they were super nice, and
they love Jesus Christ! The husband is a boxer, and they have the
cutest 18 month old! They wanted to come to church this week, but at
the last second they had car problems, so they promised to come next
week. I wish I knew french; it's hard to teach them just because I
don't know how much they understand...
After dinner we dropped Elder aussie at the stake center; after a
quick goodbye and a long hello to some of the other elders I saw there
(like Elder Everett; he is one of my best friends out here in the
mish!), they drove off into the sunset... We'll probably never see him
again until he gets back (he lives in Cedar Hills, so he is super
Sunday I gave a talk about teaching by the spirit; it was only 5
minutes, but the spirit killed it! I shared a story that I have come
to love so much:
"The following event took place in a ward in Salt Lake City in 1974.
It occurred during a sacrament meeting and was told to me by Regional
Representative of the Twelve who was in the meeting. A young man, just
before leaving on his mission stood in sacrament meeting and bore in
essence the following testimony:
Brothers and sisters, as you know, the past two weeks I’ve been
waiting for a mission call. During the time I was waiting I had a
dream. I knew it was not an ordinary dream. I dreamed I was in the
pre-existence and awaiting my call to come to earth. I was filled with
the same anticipation and excitement that I had before I received my
mission call. In my dream I was talking to a friend, and I felt a
special closeness to him, even though I’ve never met him in this life.
As we talked a messenger came and gave me a letter. I knew it was my
call to go to earth. In great excitement my friend and I opened the
letter. I gave it to him and asked him to read it aloud. It said:
“You’ve been called to earth in a special time and to a special land.
You will be born to the true church and you will have the priesthood
of God in your home. You will be born into a land of plenty, in a land
of freedom. You will go to earth in the United States of America.”
My friend and I rejoiced as we read my call, and while we were
rejoicing the messenger returned. This time he had a letter for my
friend. We knew it was his call to earth. My friend gave me the letter
to read out loud. His letter said:
“You’ve been called to go to earth in circumstances of poverty and
strife. You will not be raised in the true church. Many hardships will
attend your life. Your land will be fraught with political and social
difficulties – which will hinder the work of the Lord. You will be
born in Costa Rica.”
We wept, my friend and I, as we read his call. And my friend looked at
me with tears in his eyes, and said, “When we are down on earth, you
in your choice land and me in Costa Rica, my friend, please come and
find me.”
Then this young missionary, with tears in his eyes, said, “Brothers
and Sisters, I have received my mission call. I am going to Costa
There is a sequel to the story. About a year after the sacrament
meeting, the bishop received a letter from the missionary in Costa
Rica. The letter had one sheet of paper in it and on that sheet
written in capital letters were four words: I FOUND MY FRIEND."
Isn't that such an awesome story!? I know that there are people out
there that we have to share the gospel with... we promised...
I'm glad I could help this ward; I never got so many compliments for
such a short talk; all credit goes to God...
That's all for this week; I got one more full week to go...
So I plan on working hard up to the very last day; there is two more
district meetings, and we have found a few new gators, so I am gonna
keep on it! On the 24th there is a fireside were I can invite people;
what's kinda convenient is a lot of the wards I served in, most of the
people going home with me also have served there, so I hope for a good
turn out; most of my converts have moved out of the state, and some
members too, but it'll be good still.
Thanks so much, hope to see y'all soon, take luck!
Elder Casey Guy Dickson

No comments:

Post a Comment

Casey Guy Dickson

Casey Guy Dickson
Called to serve in the Georgia Atlanta North Mission (July 2011 to July 2013)